Monday, March 12, 2012

His first ultra marathon (50 kms) in the books

Yet again, Shavi made me proud of him. He ran his first ultra marathon (50 kms) on March 10, 2011. The trail run called 'Way Too Cool 50K (almost 31 miles)' was in Cool, CA. The run involved an overall 9000 ft. elevation change. Shavi aced it by completing it in 5 hours 55 minutes.
After a very hectic training which he started much later than the others, after getting back from our India trip in mid-January, I think he did an excellent job. Even though he was expecting to complete it in 6 hours 30 minutes, he completed it in much less duration. He was impressed by the aid stations on the way and good arrangements by race management. And I was impressed by him and by so many other people aged 60+ running the 50 kms trail run. Shavi felt excellent after the run and had all the smiles:) Keep it up, Shavi!

Now, his next goal is AR 50 which is a 50 miler!! It starts at American River, Sacramento, CA and ends in Auburn, CA. He is still wait listed on the race but let's see. Until then, his training continues:)

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of him too! Keep it going shavi! Thanks for inspiring me to sign up for my 10mi. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruchi! The support means a lot to me... it keeps me going when my mind wants to give up in the middle of a 6 hour run... :)

    Thanks Anu...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing...truly inspired.. I wish I had him around here to help me run a few miles without shortness of breath..

    ReplyDelete