Thursday, April 19, 2012

Anu - the new runner

Here comes another runner in the family! Anu's first long-distance official race: 10-miler on April 29, 2012 (Sunday) in Virginia, called Parkway Classic. It is a rain or shine run but Anu really wishes that it should not rain. She has done a 10K before. After having signed up for a 10 miler instead of 10K accidently and knowing about it only a month ago, Anu had to go through a training program designed by Shavi. She did well on the training schedule. Since the course would have some elevation trails, lets see how it goes for her.

Next would be my second half-marathon, American River Parkway half on April 29, 2012 (Saturday). I have been training with Sacfit since January 2012. I really want to do under 2:30 hours. My last one was 2:41 hours. Shavi is going to be pacing me so that I can do my PR. I am very excited about running with him since I hardly get to do that. It is like a teacher guiding you. He will have to run much slower for me. Thanks Shavi! Hope it doesnt get hot that day though I know it will:( Even then, I am super excited!!!

Quick checklist for Anu:
- Hydrate well (very well) few days before and during the race to avoid after-run cramps.
- "Gu" after every 45 minutes and at the start as well to energize your muscles and prevent them from cramping.
- High carb diet (like chicken or turkey, pasta, potatoes) 2 days before the race and light dinner the night before (little or no fats).
- Sleep well 2 nights before the race since sleeping well the night before can hardly happen because of waking early and due to anxiety.
- Wear sun-shade and sun-screen. Have sun glasses ready.
- Do not forget the mp3 player, if allowed.
- Eat well after the race after stretching.
- If you get injured, apply ice packs after the race. Take ice bath for at least 5 minutes after the race to avoid cramps.
- Trim your Toenails 3-4 days before the race so that they don't hurt on the race day.
- Last but not the least, when you feel tired or not wanting to run anymore, remember Shavi who ran 50 miles. Keep your will power up!:)

Good luck, Anu!!! I am sure you will do great:)

Update (post race): Anu did great. She finished strong, running the 10 miles in 1:54 hours. Good job, Anu!!

Link to her Garmin graph: Garmin

4 comments:

  1. Great Blog. Good luck Anu. Go make me proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww such a sweet blog. Thanks Ru! :) And thanks for the checklist. You are awesome! Yeah, must thank Shavi for all his training!! Thanks Shavi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anu, you did great by finishing the 10miles in 1hr 54 mins!! Way to go, girl!

    ReplyDelete