Thursday, July 3, 2014

6K Uphill challenge run - Squaw Valley - June 27, 2014

After every half mile, I wanted to turn back. This is the initial course of the Western States 100-mile Endurance run: 2550 ft climb in those initial ~4 miles. Brutal is the only word.
This run is organized every year by Montrail, a day before the Western States race. It starts at 10am and is limited to first 200 people on a first-cum basis. Not that if you are not registered, you cannot run up there, but you do not get the swag like the water bottle etc. Well, it is more of a hike for most people, since it is all uphill. Beautiful views and totally worth it.
Coming down is not easy either. I love downhills but this one isn’t easy since the slope is quite a lot. They have free trams for the race participants from the top which take you down but I preferred to run back. Going up took me 1 hour 7 mins while coming down was 25 mins.
Once I did this, I was glad I did it and I was worried about Shavi doing the Western States 100 miler the next day. It got me a very tiny little taste of what Shavi was going to endure next day.

1 comment: